Shame vs. Embarrasement

Shame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Shame differs from embarrassment in that it does not necessarily involve public humiliation: one can feel shame for an act known only to oneself, but in order to be embarrassed, one's actions must be revealed to others. Also, shame carries the connotation of a response to qualities that are considered morally wrong, whereas one can be embarrassed regarding actions that are morally neutral but socially unacceptable (such as an accident). Another view of the difference between shame and embarrassment is that the two emotions lie on a continuum and only differ in intensity. The wish to sink into the ground and disappear from view, to hide oneself from eyes that witness one's embarrassment or humiliation is common to both.

Perhaps I've misdiagnosed myself. I'm not concerned about "qualities that are considered morally wrong," because it's exceedingly rare that I engage in activity that others find morally questionable (not to brag or nothin', just that I have nothing to hide in that realm). Whereas, I do, rationally or not, have a number of things I feel embarrassed about.

Embarrassment is an unpleasant emotional state experienced upon having a socially or professionally unacceptable act or condition witnessed by or revealed to others. Usually some amount of loss of honor or dignity is involved, but how much and the type depends on the embarrassing situation. (from Wikipedia again)


Yeah, much closer. I panic because I fear embarrassment.